Thursday, May 27, 2010

Pizza & cupcakes



Joshua woke up at 7am this morning soaking wet and I figured he'd go back to sleep after we changed him and his bedding, no, he was up for the day. I didn't know if I was quite ready to deal with more crankiness this early, but he was actually in better spirits today. He ate his breakfast, played some games and when we went to the playroom he played with the volunteer, she thought he was very cute, his silly personality really shone through. At 2pm there was a pizza & cupcake party in the playroom to celebrate the birthday of one of the benefactors and former volunteers for the hospital. He is also a cancer survivor and turned 90 yrs old today. Joshua's oncologist Dr. Jeff came into the room and sat at the table next to Josh. Joshua turned and gave him a dirty look, got up, pushed his i.v. and moved to another table. When I asked him what happened he said, "I saw the Doctor and I moved away from him!" I asked him why he didn't say "Hi," and he said, "I just don't want to hear about mustard anymore!" (The joke with the mustard is from first time when we were in the hospital Joshua was eating a hot dog and the doctor asked him why he wasn't having mustard with it and Joshua said he hated mustard. So when the doctor saw him a few other times he asked him if he loved mustard yet, and Joshua said, "No, I still hate it!") I joked with the doctor I must be doing something wrong because Joshua has been happy the whole day even after getting up early. The big kids came to hang out after school and I saved them each a slice of pizza and a cupcake, they were excited for that. Happiness lasted until about 5pm when Joshua finally snapped, but then quickly fell asleep. His usual two hour nap continued on until 11pm, when he finally woke up and said he was hungry. I thought he'd be awake all night, but he went back to sleep at - you guessed it - 1am.

1 comment:

  1. Lol, Robert hates mustard too. We always joke about making mustard cookies! Yuck!

    ReplyDelete