Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Kids say the darnest things...


We were in the store today and Joshua saw a lady wearing a burka (it's the middle Eastern dress women wear that's all black with the veil covering their entire face and only their eyes are visible). I saw Joshua observing this woman with a look of curiosity and as we walked past her he pointed and exclaimed, "Hey mom! That lady looks just like a Ninja! Do you think she's really a Ninja?" I tried not to laugh out loud with her practically standing in front of us, because Joshua was absolutely correct, she did posses a strong resemblance to the Ninja assassins you see in the movies, although she wasn't doing any aerial flips or throwing death stars. I just smiled and told him she probably was not. He looked at me perplexed and inquired, very matter-of-factly, "Mom, if she's not a Ninja then why is she wearing that?" At the ripe old age of four I figured he probably wasn't ready for a long lesson in world history, a lengthy discussion on the Muslim religion or a debate about how women in some countries are valued less than livestock. The only thing I could think to say was, "I guess that's what she likes to wear." But, by the expression on his little face, I could tell that answer wasn't entirely satisfactory, his gaze was fixed on her until she was out of our view. Joshua doesn't hesitate to speak his mind and most often says the funniest things. We were driving up north a few months ago and there was still snow on the ground. I pointed out the window and said excitedly, "Look Joshie look, there's snow outside." I heard him reply with a huff, "Um, Mom, mines eyes was alweady looking before you told me." One evening when the older kids were all talking loudly on a car ride, Joshua yelled out, "Hello! I do not need noisy kids inside this car!!" I would have to say my favorite red-faced moment was last year when Joshua was three. We were at the store and as we passed by the bras, Joshua had to announce rather boisterously, "Mama those are for yours boooobs!" Then he had to add, with hand gestures, "You got big, big, big ones and I just have yiddow, yiddow tiny ones!" I must say, the surrounding shoppers all got a good laugh.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the updates. This was good follow-up to your post on the 10th. Sounded like things at the hospital aren't getting easier.

    ReplyDelete